Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Which Way Do I Go?


"Never look back unless you are planning to go that way."

- Henry David Thoreau

Picture yourself here.  Looking in the rearview mirror.   This guy looks like he has left something behind.  Or perhaps he missed something along the way.  Either way, can he go back?  Or is that going backward?
Perhaps he can take a moment and reflect on how he missed it or left it behind and understand why that happened.  Going back is usually not the solution to anything...only causing more harm than good. 

I had the opportunity to go back to a job I had moved on from once.  Fortunately, I got to spend a day shadowing in the role and realized that the job was no longer what I thought it was - it had evolved (or changed) and my perception of the role, while still the same, no longer matched the job.  Happily I moved on to something new and different, and better.

As Thoreau says - plan to go back....investigate, reflect and remember, but don't stay there!

No comments:

Post a Comment