Monday, June 27, 2011

The Extra Degree

212: The Extra Degree"At 211 degrees, water is hot. At 212 degrees, it boils. And with boiling water comes steam. And with steam, you can power a train.” Applying just one extra degree of temperature to water means the difference between something that is simply very hot and something that generates enough force to power a large machine.

Straight out of the book, this simple idea built within me I read the book and I started to find possibility in everything. Better yet, I started looking at my everyday routine to see how I could make a difference. I go to the gym – I actually schedule it to make sure I do it without any excuses. At the gym though, I can get lazy and hitting the treadmill can be boring if that is all that it is. By applying the extra degree, I started to turn up my pace a little each time, try the intervals that my trainer showed me in my orientation and it actually worked. I could easily keep a 6 mile/hour pace for 30 – 40 minutes and have even been able to crank it up to 6.5 in incremental steps – it was all that extra degree - the extra degree of push that I needed in my head and on the treadmill. If I continue to apply the extra degree, I will be able to reach my goal of a 10 km run in less than 1 hour. One extra degree can make a difference.

Just imagine what you can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment